Sales success is often measured in reps making quota, the achievement of the overall sales plan, and low sales turnover. One indicator that is often overlooked is your sales process. The more formal your sales process, the more successful your team will be. To take your team to the next level, examine your sales process closely:
- Make sure everyone is using the same terminology and defining the terms consistently. What you think success is, may not what be what others may be thinking.
- Make sure everyone is using the process. Ad hoc use of the sales process will be detrimental to the outcome. Higher levels of execution will lead to higher levels of performance.
- Use metrics to have a clear picture of sales results. These include: percentage of reps meeting and beating quota, revenue attainment, total rep turnover, and forecast accuracy.
- Think strategically about your organization’s evolution. Plot a road map for getting to higher levels in the near and long term. What investments and trade-offs should you make to fine tune your process?
- Don’t be complacent. Stay on top of the process even when the numbers look good.
Concentrate on improving these aspects of your sales process and you are sure to improve your sales outcomes in 2016.
Happy Holidays and much success in the New Year!